Singforjesus0612

Sunday, August 26, 2007

What a Week!!

Hello Virtual World! So, I thought i'd take a few minutes today to chronicle my week/weekend. School started Monday, and it was very busy and tiring. I, being anxious to be in school again, took the maximum of 18 credit hours this term. Most are music classes, with the exception of an intro Computer Science course and a math course. Other than that I have choir, chamber singers (small ensemble), private voice, keyboarding, theory, music history and even a "techniques in winds" course, where I learn clarinet, sax and flute. It's a state required course for music ed majors. So last week I was running about trying to find my classes, rearrange my schedule and getting acclamated to school life again.

Midweek we had a couple of storms to come through that knocked power out in the Joliet area, during the night. Fortunately, my power was back on by the morning, though I know a few individuals whose power stayed out for longer.

Anyhoo, Thursday, I went to my morning classes, and then headed to Chicago to hang out with my family. My mom wanted to go shopping, and I thought we were going to go to a local mall, however, she had other ideas. So, Thursday afternoon I found myself in Kenosha, WI (or rather Pleasant Prairie...). CRAZY! Actually it was a nice shopping excursion although, at one point I was sitting outside of one of the stores in the outdoor malls, and the song "Material Girl" was playing (I assume that's the name of it, though I cannot be quite sure who it was buy...). I have to admit I felt a tinge of something akin to guilt. Hey, what can I say!?!?!

The good thing about this trip is that we bypassed the storm that swept through the Chicago area. According to the weather station there were storms moving @ 80 mphs, high winds, tornado watches and warnings, floods, etc... We got a little rain on our way, but we didn't experience the thunder and lightening that most of the city and surrounding suburbs received. Well, on my way back to my parents house I decided to call to see if I had lost power, due to the fact that the radio was reading off all of these warnings concerning Will County (where I live). Lo and behold, I did not have power! So i stayed at my parents and got up EARLY the next morning to make it home in time to shower and make my morning class. I made it on time, in fact I was early. However, my power was still out; I didn't have power until sometime on yesterday. Between one of classes on Friday I went home and had to throw out so much food that was not good, or that was going to go bad. What I could salvage I put into my car, along with a lot of other stuff so that I could stay at my parents over the weekend, until my parents came back home. That was a crazy experience, let me tell you!

Friday night we actually went to a "Western Style" birthday gathering for one of the brothers at the church. It was really nice, and he was thoroughly surprised. Saturday, I spent the day with Jessica and "suga mamma" (that's my own special name for Nike, noone else can call her that!), and later that evening Jordan, Jalen and a couple of Jordan's buddies came by to hang out. It was, very entertaining AND educational to say the least...

That brings us to today. We actually couldn't have church because power is still out in some parts of Joliet. So, I got home today and did some cleaning and organizing. I also set-up my newest gadget, my ION ITTUSB, it's a USB turntable. So, as I clean i've been listening to old vinyl/lp records. It's really cool that I was able to listen to "God Is So Wonderful" the recording done by the Church of God Choir from Drexel YEARS ago. I heard my late aunt, Alma Jean Roberts, singing "The Only Hope". I used to LOVE to hear her sing, I miss her sooooo much. There are a lot of other good songs on here too. Then I started listening to an old Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir CD called, "Giving Him Thanks". It has a few treasures on here too, including their cover of the Hawkins song "He's Mine All Mine" and "The Highest Praise", "More Than Love". It's so crazy that I remember the words to ALL of these songs. We used to listen to records all the time when we were children. This Brooklyn record was one of my favorites, I would get the sleeve with the printed lyrics and just sing, sing sing. It was actually created before I was born, in 1981. But still it's timeless.

The gadget works well, though there is a lot of skipping. The skipping is primarily due to the fact that these records are soooo old and dirty. Hopefully i'll be able to get them cleaned up and maybe even a few of them restored or replaced. I'm excited. The turntable came with software that I can use to actually either just listen to the records through my PC or record from the record. I'm going to try not to waste TOO much time trying to make CD's and such.


That was my week/weekend, the abbreviated version. Hope you enjoyed it!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger NumbaSixx said…

    so..i like reading ur blog jackie!!...u should never take a 2 year break 4rm it again. *smooches*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home