Singforjesus0612

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Why do people say the things that they say?

I wonder why people think it's funny or appropriate to tell me things like, "Oh, for all I know your name might be Shaniqua."

I had someone tell me that yesterday, and I responded firmly, "No, my name is NOT Shaniqua, it's Jackie. In fact I don't know ANYONE by the name of Shaniqua!" Some people can really make foolish and ignorant comments. I guess people try to relate to what they think they know of you. Based on....what? But all they are able to see is that I'm black, so they automatically think that the only way to say hello to me is by saying "Whaaasssssuuuuuppp!" or "What-up Girl" (Yeah, he did that too). As if I am supposed to appreciate them "coming down" to my level and speaking in my simple vernacular. Why can't people simply talk to me as a person, without adding in all of their foolish idealogies and assumptions of "what I must be". I speak English, and try to not butcher it up, so very rarely I'll say things like, "Whatchall be doin..." (What do ya'll be doin). I really want to tell people, "Soooooo, when you talk to me please feel free to talk regular English, because I will understand. And if I don't understand, I'll use context clues!!!"

Or, I get this a lot. I'll tell someone I go to church, and they automatically start telling me about an experience that they've had at a "Baptist" church and how the just loved it and how the music was so good, and how it was really exciting and different and blah, blah, blah. "Hmmm...," I'd say to myself, "I don't go to a Baptist church, I don't sing the same kind of music that they sing at a Baptist church, SO, I really can't relate."

Or worse, someone asking me to give them the "Black Perspective". For instance, I had a professor one time who wanted my opinion on how I felt about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. I really wonder what they expect me to say. Don't people realize that being "Black" is only a PART of my identity, not my total identity. So, if/when I give my perspective on ANYTHING, it usually is derived from my view of things as:

1.) A Christian
2.) A Woman
3.) A sister
4.) A Daughter
5.) A Friend
6.) A Black person
7.) An educated person
8.) An Artist

... and I can go on and on all day, listing the various aspects of "Me" that shape my perspective. First and foremost, before I can give my perspective on ANYTHING, I have to make sure it's in line with the word of God and that what i'm saying is pleasing to God's ear. Why don't people get that?

2 Comments:

  • At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sis canary def knows a shaniqua...you should ask about her sometime...lol!

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Interesting to know.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home